Event details can be found below. Please book online whenever you see the Book Online link. If you have any enquiries relating to a booking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 3865 6998.
Note that the 24-hour clock is used on all event listings. All times are GMT/BST. For classes, the following key is used as a guide to level and suitability : Beginner (Grades 1-4); Intermediate (Grades 4-6); Advanced (Grades 6-8 / CRCO); Diploma 1 (CRCO–ARCO); Diploma 2 (ARCO–FRCO); All Standards. For more information on the different types of events organised by the College, click here.
This is a repeat, due to popular demand, of the series of improvisation classes presented in January and February.
Don't believe the myth surrounding improvisation that 'you can either do it or you can't'! Drew Cantrill Fenwick's systematic tuition shows that anyone can learn to improvise and that those who already have some experience can easily 'raise their game'. Beginners should be of at least ABRSM grade 4 level in terms of techical fluency, whilst those joining with some experience of improvising should be of at least ABRSM grade 6 standard. Access to an organ is not a requirement of participation—any keyboard will suffice.
The classes take place on Wednesdays 10, 17, 24 and 31 March, 18:00–19:00 (GMT). The following study programme will be followed:
Week 1: Ground Bass and Passacaglia
Exploring varied textures using chordal sequences over a repeating bass line.
Week 2: Solemn Processional
Diatonic improvisation in 18th-century style, with and without a cantus firmus.
Week 3: Prelude
Developing a harmonic vocabulary and harnessing Sonata Form.
Week 4: Postlude
Building confidence in gesture and figuration and planning a celebratory Toccata.
Requirements in order to particpate
• attendance at all four classes
• a commitment to spend a minimum of one hour between classes practising
• a good broadband connection (ideally wired, but stable wireless if not) and fluency with Zoom technology (see https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux for Zoom system requirements)
• your computer placed next to a piano, organ or any other keyboard
• If aged under 18 a parent, guardian or other trusted adult must be present in the same building for the duration of the class
To maintain the highest quality learning experience, places on each series of classes is strictly limited to 10 participants. Recent experience with RCO online learning suggests there will be high demand for these classes, so please apply quickly if interested.
Fee: £150 (RCO Members); £200 (Non-members)