Event details can be found below. Please book online whenever you see the Book Online link. If you have any enquiries relating to a booking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 3865 6998.
Note that the 24-hour clock is used on all event listings. All times are GMT/BST. For classes, the following key is used as a guide to level and suitability : Beginner (Grades 1-4); Intermediate (Grades 4-6); Advanced (Grades 6-8 / CRCO); Diploma 1 (CRCO–ARCO); Diploma 2 (ARCO–FRCO); All Standards. For more information on the different types of events organised by the College, click here.
We regret to announce that the 2020 RCO Summer Course has been cancelled. With the need for social distancing and rigorous hygiene still in place in August it would have been impossible to deliver the course safely and to an acceptable standard. We intend to be back in 2021 when the likely dates will be Monday 2–7 August.
Known for being 'the big course with the personal touch', the RCO Summer Course offers up to seven levels of study from early stages through to diploma level and beyond. Founded by Anne Marsden Thomas MBE, this year's course is directed by Andrew Cantrill-Fenwick and taught by members of the RCO's team of Accredited Teachers. Scroll to the bottom of the page to book online. Early bird booking discounts are available till 29 February and booking closes on 31 May, after which date please enquire about the availability of places.See below for information on bursaries towards the cost of the fees.
• 60 places available for all ages and stages
• based at the historic church of St Giles Cripplegate with its three pipe organs
• many more organs in the City of London available for teaching and practice
• personilsed timetables to suit your needs
• performance opportunities in masterclasses, services and student concerts
• tuition options (in classes and individually) on
all aspects of playing technique
service playing (hymns, worship songs, psalms, accompanying and
keyboard skills, including graded improvisation classes
Comments from students on last year's course
• I cannot speak highly enough of this course. It has been a wonderful experience making me view many different aspects of my playing in a different light. It has also helped me conquer the nerves and given me confidence.
• The course has transformed the way I see the organ, giving me tips on how to practise effectively and allowing me to meet and speak with other organists. I would very much recommend it to anyone wishing to develop their playing.
• I would like to thank you and the team for the excellent organisation of this summer course. It has been a great experience and the teaching/learning has been really good.
• This was my first time on the course. I had a wonderful time, thank you!
• An absolutely inspiring experience even for beginners like myself. I will come back again in the future!
• I wanted to write and say how much I enjoyed the RCO summer course last week.It has taken quite a while to come down off cloud 9... The teaching was first class, the lessons, workshops and lectures covered just about everything and we played and heard several wonderful instruments.
What to prepare (detailed information can be found in the General Information Booklet—click here to download)
Your choice of repertoire for masterclasses drawn from the RCO's comprehensive accreditation offering and the grade exams of ABRSM and TCL.
Your choice of service music if you wish to be considered to play in the three services during the week.
Pieces to play in individual lessons and, if you wish, student concerts (this can overlap with the masterclass music)
Accommodation and meals
Students are responsible for their own arrangements with regard to accommodation and meals. There are suggestions for where to stay in the General Information Booklet. As Sundial Court is no longer able to provide accommodation during the course, the General Information Booklet has been up-dated with other suggestions of where to stay. Please see the link under 'Course Documents' below to download it.
We welcome bookings from young organists. Those who are under 18 during the course must be under the supervision of an adult at all times. If the organisers feel that at any time that the level of supervision is insufficient, then the student's parent/guardian may be asked to remove the student from the course. We ask that the adult supervisor be named when booking. No charge is made for accompanying adults supervising a student aged under 18 provided that they do not seek to benefit directly from the course.
Discounts are available for RCO Members (Click here for information about RCO Membership). A further reduction is available for those who book on or before 29 February 2020.
To secure your place on the course you can either pay in full or pay a deposit of £50, the balance of fees being payable no later than 31 May 2020.
All fees are inclusive of VAT at 20%.
Bookings received by 29 February: £555.00
As above with RCO Member discount: £505.00
Bookings received from 1 March: £590.00
From 1 March with RCO Member discount: £540.00
We welcome applications for bursaries towards the cost of the course fees. These should be received by the College no later than 1 May 2020. Click here to go the Awards & Bursaries page. Application deadlines are 1 February and 1 May. You can also approach other bodies such as your local IAO Organists' Association (click here for a full list) or, if you play for church services, the minister and PCC/governing body of your church.
Course documents (click titles to download)
General Information Booklet (contains a detailed description of course content and workings together with the masterclass repertoire and service music lists. Read this before you book and to help you complete the Timetable Request Form once you have done so.
Timetable Request Form (only for completion once your booking has been acknowledged by the RCO)
Programme Note Form (download, complete and hand-in on the first day of the course)
Medical Emergencies Form (download, complete and hand-in on the first day of the course)
Click here to send an email or telephone 020 3865 7003.
Fee: Early bird rates (till 29 Feb): RCO Members £505, Others £555. After 29 Feb: RCO Members £540, Others £590